Thursday, July 28, 2005

Stuey Ungar: One of a Kind

Hi everyone, it's been a while. I had to go out of town for a cople of days. Not alot of poker to talk about but I did finish reading "One of a kind the rise and fall of Stuey "the kid" Ungar, the world's greatest poker player, by Nolan Dalla and Peter Alson.

You won't learn about how to play poker in this book, but If you ever wanted to learn more about Stuey, you'll learn all you wanted here. When I read a book, I usually devour it, cover to cover, in 1 or 2 days. While, I found this book to be interesting, it didn't captivate me, and I have been fooling around with it for 2 weeks now.

Stuey was the son of a illiterate, jewish, barowner/bookie from NY who was a pretty horrible father. Stuey, who never graduated high school, was a prodigy, gifted with an excellent memory, and perhaps the best card sense of anyone, ever. He won millions, they estimate over 30 million, but was continually broke and borrowing money from friends/ backers. He would wager all his money on sports and other wreckless gambles, while his drug habits grew worse and worse. Ultimately his love for his daughter couldn't motivate him enought to conquer his demons. His downward spiral of obsessive drug use led to his premature death.

I wish I had been around poker 15 or so years ago to see first hand how the game "developed", It would have been kinda cool to have played a session with the kid.

I never understand how a persons need for "action" can overide their their common sense. A smart gambler always has an edge, stuey rarely did.

I think tonight is my bar league's cash tournament. The to 40 monthly point leaders compete for $1200, split over the top 3 places. I've got alot to do today, bit I will try to update later, tomorrow at the latest.

DB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home